Monday, January 31, 2011

A Surprise Under the Sheets!


It has always amazed my as to why many sellers do not keep in touch with their listing agents, and why many listing agents do not keep in touch with their sellers.  On the seller’s side, why wouldn’t you want to communicate any pertinent information to the agent you assigned to sell your property….a property that is probably one of your biggest investments?  On the other hand, why wouldn’t an agent want to keep in touch with a seller who entrusted a sale of a home?
This question came to my mind again this weekend when I went to a home that was listed as being vacant.  To my surprise, I saw bed sheet fly onto a body on the couch in the family room as soon as I opened the front door.  I quickly shut the door and checked the MLS sheet again to make sure that I had the right house and the right status.  Everything checked out and the property indeed was supposed to be vacant.  I then rang the doorbell and waited for someone to answer the door.  A few minutes went by and someone opened the door.  The person inside explained that he was sent by the owners to keep an eye on the house and why.  I then contacted the listing agent and he knew nothing about this.  In the end, everything ended up O.K.  However, this whole embarrassing and stressful (I didn’t know if this guy under the sheets was supposed to be there or not) could have been avoided by a simple phone call from the seller to the agent.  The agent also should have told the seller that I was supposed to be at the property at that time.  I gave him enough notice to do so.

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking about this blog entry with my fiancee. She asked me what I thought when I saw the person inside the house. Luckily, I saw the sheets fly up and onto the couch as I opened the front door. I felt safe enough to check what was going on and not be too alarmed. I have heard different stories that would scare most people like the time an agent told me she found a homeless man sleeping inside the closet. She ended up calling 911.

    ReplyDelete